EVOLUTIONARY APPROACH TO KEY KNOWLEDGE PROBLEMS
Over a number of years, our team played a strategic role in the development of four key knowledge systems used extensively across this global multinational oil and gas research consultancy. These knowledge systems had all been in place for over ten years, and slowly evolved to fit the needs of the business.
Key challenges included:
- creating discussions around knowledge items that are easy to surface via global search;
- joining the frontline problem management system with communities of practice who can provide solutions;
- creating a single, overarching profile linked to global career ladders.
FOCUS ON CONSISTENCY OF DESIGN ACROSS SYSTEMS
Over our 5-year strategic partnership, we also undertook a number of niche projects:
- design of a unifying masthead, to be present in all core systems for a single, truly global navigation experience;
- workshops & coaching in agile methodologies during the on boarding and upskilling of an offshore partner for development;
- facilitated annual strategy sessions for the global knowledge function;
- design and build of new features and designs for global knowledge platforms;
- user research for a global intranet.
SUSTAINABLE VISION FOR KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMS
Through such a sustained strategic engagement, we were able to create a unified vision for the existing, well-used knowledge systems.
By using each project as a way to test and refine our understanding of the corporate audience for the combined knowledge systems, we were able to provide our client with personas and design guidance, which could be used for other projects that we were not involved in supporting. This helped to provide a distinctive, unified user experience across many business-critical systems.
Partnership work delivers results
Empowering knowledge communities
Strategy, coaching and learning to engage internal experts and enable them to connect more efficiently with the wider firm’s operations.
Step change for knowledge sharing
A focus on social actions allowed knowledge to flow to the frontline, leading to practical solutions for real-world problems.
Unified experience throughout
Applied user-centred design thinking across multiple knowledge systems delivered a unified vision for multiple systems.